Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm Ready for My Close-Up

Like a lot of families are doing, we did maternity shots and newborn shots with Caden, to document this transition in our lives. I'm including them for a couple of reasons. First, I love showing off my family. I know what you're thinking, "How did he land a stone cold fox like her???" I ask myself the same question all the time. My wife's genes obviously won out when my children were being knit together, which to me is more proof that there is, in fact, a God.

But I also wanted to give props to our amazing photographer, Tracy Aung. Click here to go to her website so that you can see some more of her phenomenal work. She was so great to work with and we highly recommend her!

Something interesting came up during our maternity shoot, however. During one of the shots that was just of my wife while I was occupying Caylah, Tracy commented to Christina that she was surprised that I wanted to be included in the day. Her experience has been that dads, typically, don't really participate in the photo shoot, if they even come at all.

Admittedly, my theatre background and my inborn "ham" nature definitely plays a role in my desire to be in front of a camera. The bigger piece, though, is that these are family pictures and I am the head of my family. Granted, it's my wife was the one carrying our babies for nine months, but these are our kids, and so it should be us involved in every stage of their lives, even something as seemingly insignificant as posing for a picture against a tree and smiling until every joint in your face begins to ache.

Now, I'm well aware that probably most dads don't look at a camera and instantly want to flash that million-dollar smile. Or maybe you're insecure from too many passed up hours at the gym. Or maybe you just aren't a picture guy. However, photo shoots fall under the same general lesson is taught over and over again in your life as a husband and a parent - it's not about you. It's important to your family. As I was talking to Tracy about all of this after the fact, she reminded me that "pictures bring back happy times, and if dad wasn't present both physically and emotionally, something would be missing!"

So say "cheese," dads, and smile because you're daring to be daddy!


You guys have any great photographer recommendations to share? We'd love to have 'em!


4 comments:

  1. Cute pictures! :) So glad to see dads who are willing to put aside their wants or insecurities and step into the frame!

    Two great photog recommendations in the DC Metor area. Both are dear, sweet friends of mine and fabulous photographers:

    Sarah Adams, Photos By Sarah Beth, photosbysarahbeth@gmail.com, https://www.facebook.com/photosbysarahbeth

    Taylor Smith, Fields of Green Photography, fieldsofgreenphoto@gmail.com, http://www.fieldsofgreenphoto.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Meghan, AND the recommendations!

      Delete
    2. Love this post and your family! She has captured the love and beauty of the Vias so well! ~Ivette

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Ivette! Glad you like the pics!

      Delete