Friday, June 29, 2012

I Remember...

Our son, Caden, was born one week ago. Though our oldest, a girl, was born over two years ago, Caden's arrival brought with it many of the same emotions that Caylah's did. Here are some of the things that I remembered...

I remembered that my eyes were just as stupor-filled.

I remembered that I felt just as freaked out.

I remembered that I felt just as inadequate.

I remembered that I seemed just as clumsy picking up my newborn.

I remembered that I was just as leery about putting a car seat in.

I remembered that I felt just as tired.

I remembered that I felt just as unsure about my fatherhood skills.


However, before I ran from the hospital screaming, I remembered some other things...

I remembered that I had learned a few things along the way.

I remembered that Caylah did most of the same stuff and she's actually turning out OK.

I remembered that babies are, in fact, quite durable.

I remembered that these are all phases, and will pass.

I remembered that Caden is the Lord's, too.


Needless to say, I still won't be an unshakable wall of confidence, but I can say that I'm entering this stage of fatherhood with a little less perspiration than I did when Caylah was born.

Thankful for the memories...

Any of these in particular resonate with you? What other things have been helpful for you to remember when fatherhood seems a little overwhelming?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! All of the above resonate with me! Pam and I were married 8 years before deciding to have kids. I will say this, I had a ton more energy when we had our first and I was 34. With our second, at 38, the lack of rest for the first couple of months seemed to be a lot more difficult for both of us to handle, but we survived...again! I just kept reminding myself how rewarding every moment can be, when put in the proper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tommy! Man, that perspective is tough when you're in the midst of the sleepless nights and screaming babies, but still so valuable. I appreciate the comment!

      Delete