Thursday, June 28, 2012

Let's Get Started

It's June 28, 2012, and this is my first blog post. The concept of this blog, however, has been on my heart for a while. I became a daddy a little over two years ago (and then again last Friday!), and the Lord has fine-tuned my heart since then to encourage fathers in a role that can easily be overwhelming and intimidating.

You don't have to dig very deep to see the impact that fatherlessness is having on our society. Personally, I've discipled dozens of guys who have been deeply affected by a father who has been absent physically, emotionally, or both. The Mentoring Project is just one of many organizations that is tackling this issue head-on, focusing on mentoring young men who are victims of fatherlessness. And there are obviously a number of outlets online - other blogs, websites - that can offer resources to help me be a better dad.

What is lacking, however, is a place for dads to discuss what we deal with a on a day-to-day basis, especially for those of us who have young sons and/or daughters. There's lots of places for moms to develop virtual community, but guys do not normally have the same bent, so the places for us to do so are few and far between.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't, however.


So I've started this blog as a place to develop community. A place to encourage you, but also a place for me to receive encouragement. As men, we often feel as if we should go it alone, but feeling as if we are alone is the best way to get discouraged as dads. What we are called to as fathers is not easy, but vitally important to the health of your family, not to mention our society. So I invite input, opinions, experiences. I invite you to not go it alone.

I invite you to dare to be daddy.


2 comments: