Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Father of the Year?

A buddy of mine brought it to my attention on Monday that The Father's Day/Mother's Day Council, Inc is going to be giving one of its Father of the Year Awards to Bill Clinton at this year's awards ceremony in June. After I got over the massive affront of not being picked myself, I started to do a little digging. I mean, political leanings aside, I never thought of our 42nd president as the "fatherly" type.

But, maybe I missed something. Between all of the media attention given to helping with Obama's re-election campaign and Hillary's blood clots, maybe there wasn't room or time available for the press to write about President Clinton's paternal relationship to his 32-year old daughter who got married over two years ago. Maybe he's on Chelsea's speed dial for advice on marriage. Maybe the daddy/daughter relationship had gotten really strong since Hillary started posing for texting memes. Who knows?

Well, I didn't find any of that. What I did find, however, is the criteria the Council uses to determine who is the most deserving. Dan Ortwig, the Chairman of the National Father's Day Committee (the division of the council who actually confers the awards), pointed out Clinton's "profound generosity, leadership and tireless dedication to both his public office and many philanthropic organizations." Every article I read about this - this was the only reasoning given for why Clinton is getting the award.

Really?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but what it seems like is that because he worked really hard and gave away a lot of money, that makes him a good father?? Forgive the repetition (and use of multiple punctuation marks), but...Really??  I'm sorry, y'all, but I'm lost. If the organization that promotes Father's Day is using this sort of thing as criteria, no wonder we dads are in the situations that we're in.

Oh, and in case you're wondering who won last year, thinking this year is just a fluke, it was Shaquille O'Neal.


What would you use as the top three criteria for this award?
Who do you think the FOY award should go to?

No comments:

Post a Comment