Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Daddy

Whew! It's been a hectic past month. Between potty-training, our first Santa-ed Christmas, and a baby that is now eating solids (all of which make for great fodder for future posts), the blog has fallen by the wayside.

But now that it's 2013, I'm joining in with the throngs of people who are vowing to start anew. It's resolution time, and that hasn't been lost on D2BD. I've been doing this blog for about six months, and, from what I've read, this is the point at which a lot of bloggers quit. No doubt, this can be tough, but one of my resolutions for the year is to stick with it. Like I wrote when I started, this community of dads is too important to let slip away.

My other resolution will be much tougher. I resolve to be a better husband and father, I'm sure many of you reading this want the same. The question is, how? It's one thing to say it, but, as so many resolution-ers out there know, carrying it through past January can be pretty tricky.

So I'd love to have some ideas shared here. For me, I'm planning to do a marriage retreat with my wife later this month. A time for the two of us to spend some concentrated time away from our kids to just work on our relationship. Not that we have massive issues to work on, but a good shot in the arm of how-tos on communication, conflict management, etc, never hurts. I know that will help in my effectiveness as a father and a husband. I also want to start reading to Caden on a nightly basis. We started that routine with Caylah at about six months, and it has proven to be a really good bonding time for the two of us.

Here are some that I found on All Pro Dad that are pretty good. They're mostly for families with older kids, but good things to think about, nonetheless. Maybe this will spur us on to other great ideas!

Happy New Year from D2BD!



What about you? Are you resolving to be a better dad and husband this year? What does that look like for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment