Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Being Thankful

Tomorrow being Thanksgiving and all, I thought it appropriate to do a post about being thankful. However, instead of me telling you what I'm thankful for, I asked some moms that I know what they're thankful for about their husbands, specifically in their gifts as a father. Some of these below are grandmothers, others are just about to be moms for the first time. But they all had great stuff to offer up:
  • Wisdom and humility are the two characteristics that come to mind first. He has always let me say how I feel about something, and rather than telling me his point of view may be different, he begins asking me questions as to how I arrived at my position. 
  • I appreciate his ability to play. It's heart-warming to me to see him engaging with our nearly four year-old daughter on her level. 
  • One of the things that I love most about [my husband] is how he is so intentional to focus on the important things with our children, when I would usually tend to overreact... like when they break something, he immediately responds with, "Oh no, did it break? That's ok. It's just a (blank). That's not what matters though. What matters is that you're ok!" His calm, careful reaction helps me to do the same. 
  • He regularly asks me what he can do better in our relationship. I appreciate that he takes the initiative to improve our marriage.
  • He plays with our kids. He comes home after a long day and work and as soon as he changes his clothes he is down on the playroom floor wrestling our boys. He is always the fun instigator. His joy fills me up and relives the strain of day. 
  • I love it that [my husband] is such a great problem solver for our kids. He really has the patience to walk through with them options, suggestions and strategies to help them get through growing up. I also love it how he is such a protector. Especially now since [our daughter] is becoming a teenager. 
  • (As said to her) - I may not be the best at relating to people in the world as we know it, but you definitely want me on your side during the zombie apocalypse. 
  • I love when [our son] wants [my husband's] attention, he has it 100%, regardless of what major or minor task he is involved in at the time. I love the rough housing, and the encouragement and praise he gives [our son]. I love his sensitivity to when my patience is running thin and willingness to take [our son] at those times and his desire for [our son] to love Jesus.
  • I am looking forward to watching [my husband] protect and provide for our daughter. And I love how excited he is to hold her and love on her. (hopefully soon!)
  • I love that my husband recognizes that as a stay at home mom of 3 kids close in age - that I work and live in the same place. It's hard to separate yourself from parent to spouse- in many ways ! I love that he sees and wants to get us both away to reconnect. In turn , it makes you better parents. I love that [my husband] verbally tells the kids how cool their mom is and how much he loves her. It shows them our love and dedication to each other , but also shows them how to love / treat / expect love from their spouses in the future. 

I don't know about you, but hearing any type of encouragement like this makes my day. Honestly, I don't think I'm alone in that. I am thankful for wives and moms (mine included!) like these who make the time and effort to encourage their husbands in this crazy and incredible journey of fatherhood. Like nothing else, it helps us "dare to be daddy" even more!

Happy Thanksgiving!


You wives/moms out there reading this, what are you thankful for about your husband's gifts as a father?

2 comments:

  1. I love how there is no task off limits for John... Whether it is diapers, feedings, or comforting and fixing ouchies, he is ready and willing to take care of anything his boys need! He has no worries of not appearing "manly" by giving lots of hugs, kisses, and saying " I love you" all the time... Which of course makes him all the more manly : ) His biggest priority is his family and he always let's that show, which already shines through in his boys' confidence and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got a good one, Tinky, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete